Kelly Wearstler is a big name in the Design Industry. But who is Kelly Wearstler?
An interior designer, textile designer, and now, since the fall of 2011, a fashion designer, Kelly Wearstler is the new “chouchou” of the design world. Born in 1967 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, she obtained her BFA from the Massachusetts College of Art. In 1994, she moved to Los Angeles, CA thinking she would work in the Movie Industry. Deciding it was not for her, the slim and graceful Wearstler posed under a pseudonym in Playboy Magazine and used the proceeds to pay off her student loans and start her Interior Design Firm in 1995. She was hired for a decorating project in the late 1990s by Brad Korzen, a real estate developer, whom she later married. She went on to provide Interior designer services for some properties Korzen and his Kor Realty Group owned, including the AVALON, a Beverly Hills hotel. From that point, her career really took off and she became renowned for her Hotel Design projects, Residential work, tablescapes and textile designs. Her style has been described as “Retro-Theatrical” by the New York Times but also as “Hollywood Regency”-a glamorous, over the top style started in…you guessed it, Hollywood in the 1930s’. I would describe her style as extremely vibrant and layered, with a sense of grandeur and whimsy.
Here are a few examples:
- Residential Work “Pied à Terre” by Kelly Wearstler
- Residential Work “The Doheny Estate” by Kelly Wearstler
I discovered Kelly Wearstler through her fabrics at Lee Joffa a few years ago, and used some of her fabrics in the Red Master Bedroom as well as in my home. What strikes me in her creations is her wonderful ability to play with color and textures. Kelly Wearstler puts in incredible research in her designs, and their level of refinement is masterful. One can imagine her with a pad and pencil in hand taking in everything that surrounds her: nature, art, travels, etc.
I recently went to the Boston Design Center and visited the friendly Lee Joffa showroom with the intent of checking out Kelly Wearstler’s new Spring Textile Lines. I was not disappointed!
Here are a few close up photos I took:
Okay, that first one is really just a teaser! Hard to see in detail. Now the one below is a close up I took to show you the intricate detail of this textile design:
- Water Stripe EMB in Raisin /Rose Colorway by Kelly Wearstler. Linen with Rayon Embroidery
- Feline in Ebony/Rose by Kelly Wearstler
- Agathe in Ebony/Beige by Kelly Wearstler. Linen.
- Currents in Ebony/Gold by Kelly Wearstler. Linen and metal.
- Tempest in Truffle by Kelly Wearstler.
- Currents Silk- Ebony by Kelly Wearstler
- Serpent in Ivory by Kelly Wearstler -Linen,cotton, polyester
- Bengal Bazaar in Graphite/Rose by Kelly Wearstler. Linen.
- Currents Linen-Rose by Kelly Wearstler
- Water Stripe EMB- Plum by Kelly Wearstler
I hope these images make you want to run out and discover more about Kelly Wearstler. She is quite a talented creator! Don’t forget to check her fashion, accessories and home lines at http://www.kellywearstler.com